When you have three kids at home who are chicken soup enthusiasts, you have to let those creative juices flow and experiment with recipes and ingredients to keep things interesting!
Chicken soup used to be my favourite dish as a kid, however, my preference is usually inclined towards the clear soup that my mom makes. So, when I started experimenting with ingredients, I figured out it isn’t a hassle at all! In fact, a simple, nutritious chicken soup is probably the easiest meal to put together and most definitely the best remedy for your tired soul.
The chicken soup recipes mentioned below are super healthy and so delish your child will love them and keep asking for seconds!
Chicken Broth Loaded with Herbs and Veggies
This health-packed recipe is a slam dunk and has become a regular in my house, making an appearance every Thursday night!
- Chicken thigh or breast
- Chopped celery, carrots, capsicum, and spring onions
- Fresh herbs such as parsley, coriander, and thyme
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (a dash)
- Take a large pan and place the chicken in it. Cover the chicken with water and add a pinch of salt.
- Cook on low flame till the chicken is soft.
- Place the chicken on a plate and shred it.
- Add the herbs and vegetables to the broth and cook on low flame.
- Add the cooked chicken and cook it together with the herbs and veggies.
- Add some pepper and salt and serve hot!
Old-Fashioned Chicken Soup
This is my husband’s favourite meal for when he’s feeling under the weather! The kids love it too.
- Chicken stock
- Finely chopped/diced carrots, potatoes, leeks, onions, garlic, and herbs (I use either parsley or thyme)
- Olive oil
- Saute the finely chopped garlic and onion in a pan till the onions are translucent.
- Add the leeks and saute some more.
- Add the chicken stock, chicken, potatoes, and carrots.
- Cook for some time on a low flame till the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Add the herbs and a pinch of pepper, cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add some salt and stir the soup thoroughly.
- Serve hot along with some homemade garlic bread!
Chicken Sweet Corn Soup
A delicious solution to your hunger problems!
- Olive oil
- Finely chopped spring onions, garlic, and ginger
- A dash of cornflour
- Chicken stock
- Sweet corn
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 egg
- Soy sauce
- Roasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Saute the ginger, garlic, and chicken in a pan using olive oil.
- Cook this mixture till the chicken is semi-cooked.
- In another bowl, throw in a small portion of the chicken broth and cornflour and blend thoroughly.
- Add this to the semi-cooked chicken along with the sweet corn and the rest of the broth.
- Let the mixture come to a boil, then lower the flame and simmer cook for another 10 minutes.
- Beat the egg along with some lemon juice in a small bowl and pour into the mixture.
- Stir the chicken soup continuously with a fork to create egg strands.
- Top it off with some roasted sesame seeds, spring onions, and soy sauce.
- Serve hot with some celery sticks!
Chicken with Rice Soup
This one of my own favourite dishes to gobble down after a long, tiring day!
- Chicken broth
- Finely chopped carrots, celery, onions, kale, and chicken
- Bay leaves
- Put a significant amount of the broth in a large bowl and bring it to a boil.
- Add the vegetables thereafter and cook till they are tender.
- Throw in the rice, chicken, the remaining stock, and bay leaves. Bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer cook the soup for about 30 minutes until the rice is cooked and the chicken and veggies are tender.
- Add the kale in the end and simmer cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken with rice soup hot!
Chicken Noodle Soup
My children love this dish and it has become their favourite breakfast meal!
- Finely chopped carrots, shallots, thyme, green onions, and parsley
- Corn starch
- Chicken stock
- Egg noodles (you can use plain noddles)
- Shredded chicken (cooked)
- Saute all the vegetables except green onions in olive oil. Cook them till they become soft.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer cook for about 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add some corn starch and water and blend the two.
- Add it to the pan.
- Throw in the noodles and cook on low flame till it is thoroughly cooked.
- When the noodles are just about done, remove the pan from the stove mix in the herbs and butter. Stir thoroughly.
- Add the cooked and shredded chicken thereafter and mix well.
- Top it off with some green onions for garnishing.
These healthy and yummy chicken soup recipes are an instant hit with children of all age groups! Try them out at home and let me know which ones scored a homerun.