The humblest of all spices, green chillies are my absolute favourite, simply because they go with any dish you’re preparing. Whether it is a simple daal, fried rice, or green chilli bhajji, this spice never fails to impress!
And, it comes with a horde of wellness perks that you are sure to love!
So, let’s look at some of the most underrated health benefits of green chillies.
- Make for a healthy dietary choice as they have zero calories. Green chillies are also known to increase a person’s metabolism by up to 50% for at least three hours post meals! So, if you are specifically aiming at a healthier lifestyle, incorporating green chillies in your meals will be a great idea.
- Green chillies are basically Cancer killers! This health benefit of green chillies impressed me the most. Yes, green chillies are packed with antioxidants that act as scavengers, protecting the human body against harmful free radicals. You can also keep your prostate problems at bay with an increased consumption of green chillies.
- Green chillies are awesome for your skin. Since they are rich in beta-carotene and Vitamin C, they impart a glow to your skin that remains unmatched.
- Green chillies are beneficial for those suffering from cardiovascular diseases. They reduce blood cholesterol levels, thereby reducing the chances of atherosclerosis. They also increase fibrinolytic activity in your body which is the activity of preventing blood clot formation, hence reducing the likelihood of a stroke or heart attack.
- The element capsaicin (the hot part of a green chilly) has been found to reduce body temperatures. This is done by stimulating the cooling centre of the hypothalamus. This is the explanation as to why green chillies are a part of people’s daily diets despite the sultry, scorching summer heat.
- Green chillies keep your blood sugar in check. Green chillies create a balance in the bodies of those suffering from diabetes by lessening the increased levels of their blood sugar.
- Green chillies are packed with antibacterial properties. These help protect the body against the harmful free radicals that are generated during diseases and mental stress.
- Loaded with beta-carotene and Vitamin C, green chillies are awesome for your eyes, skin and immune system. However, ensure that you are storing green chillies in a cool, dark place as they tend to lose out on Vitamin C when exposed for a long time.
- When consumed, green chillies can lighten your mood. This is because they release endorphins which are huge mood boosters and reliever of anxiety! Quite an interesting health benefit of eating green chillies, don’t you think?
- If you are iron-deficient, a regular intake of green chillies is sure to balance iron content in your body! This health benefit of green chillies is important for your little one. This is especially important for kids having an iron deficiency.
Did you like these green chilli health benefits?
Add more to the list by sharing more health benefits of green chilli peppers with me in the comments below!